Soldalit Coarse Texture Base Coat (Grob)

Soldalit Coarse Texture Base Coat (Grob)
Soldalit-Grob is a filled, Sol-Silicate priming paint for base and intermediate coats within the Soldalit System based on an entirely new binder combination of silica sol and water glass. This binder combination not only allows the application of silicate coatings on mineral substrates but also on a large variety of latex/acrylic painted surfaces, directly and without additional bridging coats. A sol silicate-based filled priming coat containing sand (0-0.5mm grains) and mineral fiber fillers used to fill hairline cracks and crazing, opaque white, may be tinted. Dilute with Soldalit Dilution/Thinner. Very low VOC (less than 2 g/l).
Application Historic Restoration & Preservation, Painting/Coating Exterior
Consumption 270 - 320 sq.ft./Gal. / 1 coat

Actual consumption depend on the substrate and individual project conditions as well as application methods
Packaging Red pail with white lid
Sizes 1 Gallon

4 Gallon
Usage KEIM Soldalit-Grob is used as base or intermediate
coat to equalise textural differences or fill fine hairline
cracks when repainting or coating sound organic
substrates, especially dispersion- and silicone resinbased
coatings and renders as well as mineral substrates.
Exceptions are wood, plasto-elastic coatings,
saponifiable old paints (e.g. certain oil-based paints).
Documents
Soldalit Brochure  (Brochure, PDF, 1115 KB)
Soldalit-Grob-TDS  (Technical Data Sheet, PDF, 75 KB)
Note: specification documents for this product may be available. You may access these documents by registering a user account or signing in.

Reference Projects

Golden Welcome Center
Golden Welcome Center (Golden, CO)
 
Dealey Plaza
Dealey Plaza (Dallas, TX)
 
Waddell Mural - The Toy Theater
Waddell Mural - The Toy Theater (Washington, DC)
Mural commissioned to enhance downtown Washington DC area of DuPont Circle
 
The Hill Center at The Old Naval Hospital
The Hill Center at The Old Naval Hospital (Washington, DC)
Project is exterior historic masonry coated with KEIM Soldalit
 
Greek Orthodox Cathedral of the Annunciation, Atlanta, GA
Greek Orthodox Cathedral of the Annunciation, Atlanta, GA (Atlanta, GA)
Built in 1967, the cathedral was in need of exterior restoration. Exterior surfaces of brick and stucco were repainted in a new color scheme designed to coordinate with a soon to be installed golden stainless steel dome.
 
Courtyard Marriott Dupont Circle, Washington, DC
Courtyard Marriott Dupont Circle, Washington, DC (Washington, DC)
This prominent Hotel in Washington, DC is located in the heart of Downtown, in the Duport Circle neighborhood.
 
A Creek Runs Through It
A Creek Runs Through It (Buffalo, WY)
Buffalo Wyoming’s “A Creek Runs Through It” mural
 
More Than a One Horse Town
More Than a One Horse Town (Buffalo, WY)
Buffalo Wyoming’s “More Than a One Horse Town” mural
 
Hemisfair Park Historic Houses
Hemisfair Park Historic Houses (San Antonio, TX)
n 2009 the city of San Antonio created a non-profit organization, HemisFair Park Area Redevelopment Corporation, to generate ideas and oversee the redevelopment of the former fairgrounds, which had seen little development since 1988.
 
Wilshire Boulevard Temple
Wilshire Boulevard Temple (Los Angeles, CA)
The first synagogue in Los Angeles, the new Temple was dedicated in 1929.  Built in the Byzantine architectural style, it was built of concrete with a painted stucco exterior.   In 1973, the Wilshire Boulevard Temple was dedicated LA Historic-Cultural Monument No. 116.   The Wilshire Temple began extensive renovations of the historic facility in 2008, and the remodeled sanctuary reopened in 2013.
 
South Central Regional Medical Center Laurel, Mississippi
South Central Regional Medical Center Laurel, Mississippi (Laurel, MS)
Creating a permanently clean facade protected against heavy weather, air pollutants, and biological growth without fading, blistering or peeling for 30 years.
 
Serenity Road Mural
Serenity Road Mural (Seattle, WA)
Corporate mural in Seattle, WA transforms drab building facade into a beautiful "view".  Mural is titled Serenity Road by artist, Eric Grohe.  
 
Iwo Jima Monument, Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, SC
Iwo Jima Monument, Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, SC (Parris Island, SC)
A 1/3 scale cement/plaster replica of the bronze monument at Arlington Cemetery, this monument sits on the Peatross Parade Deck at the USMC Recruit Depot at Parris Island, SC.  It was first dedicated in 1952 and has had several restorations, including a 1964 full repaint with an epoxy finish to protect the plaster from water and the elements.  
 
44 South Battery, Charleston, SC
44 South Battery, Charleston, SC (Charleston, SC)
This three-story Plantation style home was built in 1802 for spinster sisters Anne and Catherine Johnston on lots left to them by their grandfather McKenzie Johnston.  After the Civil War, the home was purchased by General Benjamin Huger Rutledge and the art historian Anna Wells Rutdledge lived most of her life here.  
 
Sovereign Hotel Building Mural
Sovereign Hotel Building Mural (Portland, OR)
Repainting of a historic mural over Portland stucco and lime-cement render.
 
Ali'iolani Hale Hawaii State Supreme Court (Honolulu, HI)
Aged and peeling latex acrylic paint finishes on the historic masonry surfaces, needed to be updated to a more traditional mineral finish.  
 
Carter Hall, Covenant College (Overlook Mountain, GA)
Carter Hall was originally built in 1928 as the Lookout Mountain Hotel and today serves Covenant College as the centerpiece of student life and as the signature building on campus.  Historic stucco which had leaked badly in the past was covered with an EIFS system during a remodel in the 1980's.  Moisture within the building envelope continued to plague the structure resulting in mold growing beneath the EIFS cladding.  A careful restoration was undertaken to remove the EIFS cladding and repair the original stucco facade to include a durable and water repellent Keim mineral finish.  
 
The Archbishop's House
The Archbishop's House (Port of Spain, TT)
Restoration of the exterior facade of the official residence of the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Port of Spain.