Built in 1857 for lawyer and Confederate general William F. Brantley, the 9,700-square-foot mansion had fallen into disrepair after decades of neglect. The structure was renovated over two years, starting in 2007. Construction was Portland plaster. Homeowners were unhappy with overall appearance and color of the stucco. The façade was faded, soiled and showed areas of biologic growth. Homeowners wanted a color more suited to style and period of property.