One of the most attractive of the San Antonio missions, the church at Mission Concepción looks essentially as it did more than 200 years ago when it stood at the center of local religious activity. Founded by Franciscan friars and dedicated in 1755, this is the best preserved of the Texas missions. Mission Concepción was designated a National Historic Landmark on April 15, 1970. Not visible today are the colorful geometric designs that originally covered the exterior surface of the mission. Inside, however, are original paintings of religious symbols and architectural designs.
Missions Concepción, San Jose, San Juan, and Espada continue to operate as active parishes of the Catholic Church and all are open to the public. Through a cooperative agreement with the Archdiocese of San Antonio, the San Antonio Missions National Historical Park of the National Park Service administers and maintains these missions today.